Thursday 7 June 2012

Lessons Learned #1: Keep it Simple

I've been working on my positional Norsemen for Blood Bowl recently.  The two pictured below will one day be my berserkers but they are both works in progress at the moment.  I'm really happy with how the models are coming along so far, but it is taking a while.

Which brings me to today's lesson; keep it simple. Chances are that when my Norse are on the pitch, no one will notice how much effort went into creating the legs and rugby shorts. Does that mean I shouldn't bother? Not necessarily- I do want to be happy with my team's look- but you can achieve a lot with far simpler conversions.  I mean, take a look at this orc team from Laughing Ferret.  It's characterful, fun and unique but also pretty simple- only a few green stuff accessories have been added.


Of course, I'll be seeing this project through.  It'll be good green-stuff practise and should result in a pretty unique team.  But my next team is definitely going to be a simple legs and torso swap- I'ma need a break after this!








5 comments:

  1. Awesome work! My son (age 11) are I are Blood Bowl fanatics too, and he is playing a Norse team, Odinn's Champions, in his first season league.

    This is his team here:
    http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/more-blood-bowly-goodness-odinns.html

    Looking forward to more and I am your first follower - Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, Paul!
      That team looks excellent, the third ed Norse team is one of my favourites. It's great that your son is into the beautiful game too.
      Truth be told, I've admired your blog for a while but forgot to follow when I got a blog of my own!

      Delete
    2. My pleasure - its one thing to paint and play BB, its a whole new ball game when you are sculpting your own figs - good luck!

      Delete
  2. Very Nice! I am the Paul of the man caves son and my Norse team may look great but they are not faring so well on the pitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Right Stuff (great username!)
      It's a shame your team aren't doing too good but I'm sure their time will come! It's great to know that youngsters are still interested in the game! I remember when I was your age I was rubbish at Blood Bowl, it must be good to have your dad to teach you.

      Delete